!!
WARNING !! This content is for a well-informed public.
Have you ever seen the movie Limitless ? The story is about a man who manages to develop cognitive faculties in few minutes by taking simple pills. Then it improves his perceptions, his memory and his reasoning capacity. It seems to me too good to be true! And yet ...
...
What if reality catches up fiction!
It
is by loosing myself in the maze of youtube that I find out a
serious documentary about drugs which may increase mental skills among students. My
curiosity pushed me to press the play button and that is what I discovered:
Usually
these "drugs" are prescribed by psychiatrists to
treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Thus , there are many
drugs on the market such as Ritalin , Adderall or Vyvanse , which are
amphetamines and other psychotropic drugs.
So
why do "healthy students " consume drugs they are not supposed
to ?
In
theory, these « smart » drugs would improve
focus, to work more than 20 hours in a row without tiredness, stimulate memory
and consequently to optimize learning process, by staying awake and fighting
against distractions. Therefore, it is a usefull and effective solution to get
better grades.
Mostly,
this practice is widespread in the most prestigious and competitive
universities. Acutally, 1 student out of 5 would consume these drugs on a
regular basis to stand out and be amongthe best.
We
can understand that these drugs are commonplace and are compared to energizing
drinks or coffee. Moreover, since these drugs are producted by pharmacists they
look like they are safe for health.
However,
there are many side effects that can be devastating . For example, there are
physical addiction, headaches , nervousness, insomnia , anxiety, depression ,
confusion, memory trouble, important mood swings.


I just read your article and I'm really surprised ! I didn't know there were drugs used to make people learning better and faster ! I always thought it was for fun or for addicts.. I don't think it's a good idea to consume them and it will be good if universities change their too big expectations from students !!!
RépondreSupprimer